Monday, December 28, 2009

WTF is Kevin Smith up to ?

I have a soft spot for the movie clerks. I first heard about it back in '94 or '95 I think, and I rented it and loved it instantly. I made my friends watch it and got them hooked. And I waited excitedly for each and every new flick. Each one has their moments, but none really got me the way clerks did (jay and silent bob did make me laugh out loud a fair amount).

Now, I know, as people get older they begin to change (all you need to do is look at what Lucas pooped out with the new trilogy). Their priorities change, their views, their ideals, their financial requirements and what in the end is important to them (fan approval possibly). I kinda thought that Kevin Smith would sort of dance that fine line between indie dick and fart joke film and major studio release. And I know he's never shy to admit he's somewhat of a whore when it comes to makin' cash (he sells just about anything he can get his hands on). BUT, I'm a bit shocked at his newest flick. I think Jay would sum this up in one of his most famous phrases from Jay and Silent Bob "Where's my muthaf**kin movie cheque ?!?!?". I never thought I would see Kevin Smith writing and directing a run of the mill buddy cop flick. Although Lethal Weapon 1 & 2 and Beverly Hills Cop 1 & 2 were great flicks (Rush Hour's were predictable carbon copies) I think the genre has seen about all it can see unless it gets a reboot or is reinvented. And to be honest, I don't see either in the trailer. This just looks like any rehashed buddy cop flick...throw in over the hill hardend white cop with loud mouth funny guy black cop, toss in a funny side kick criminal and there we have it...

so...you make up your mind, but I will probably wait for this one at the cheap theater or on T.V.

No comments: