Wednesday, June 30, 2010
Tuesday, June 29, 2010
Monday, June 28, 2010
I hope the camera i settle on lasts me for decades [as long as i treat it well....can't be bouncing it off the concrete floor like i did with my second to last digital camera].....hmmmm...maybe the tech is fine, maybe it's my 'bull in a china shop' approach to handling it ??
I believe I'll stick with the basic accessories at first. Camera. Bag. 1 Lens. Mini flex tripod. That should do it for starters so i can get a grasp of what the camera can do.
I haven't yet decided what my medium will be.....i'll let that happen as we go along. I'm sure the boy [s] will be unpaid models for the next 20+ years and will show prominently in my work....after that, who knows. I like streetscapes. Outdoors. Architecture. I don't have visions of opening a wedding photo side company....but, i say that now...anything is possible.
the next couple weeks should also be interesting since we dug up a bag of undeveloped film...i have no idea what's on it...i think some is from our trip to Greece and Italy....others ? Who knows....it'll be a surprise...that's the one big reason I love the digital media....I can snap as many pictures as i like and i don't have to worry about paying to develop them. Storage is the only concern [I've had 2 laptops die and got very lucky that i managed to save all the pictures...I have them now backed up on an external drive, but that's not 100% fool proof....I may have to make multiple back ups....what a pain..or just print the good ones out....which we might do anyway]
just a question....does anyone like this template and background ? I'm not sure i do....it's a bit distracting and sometimes it's hard to read the text....you may notice I'll be playing with it a bunch for the next little while....
and the countdown for the newb is kickin' into high gear....around 2 weeks but i get the feeling it will happen sooner than that...just a vibe....maybe he'll show on Canada Day....
back to work.....
Thursday, June 24, 2010
I had bought some frozen Cod a while back thinking it was a great deal. When the packaged was opened and thawed it was already apparent something was up...the fish was so full of water I'm sure it was half the bag weight. Obviously it had been frozen, thawed and frozen again as the texture was off...this was confirmed once it was cooked. It had that sort of tasteless rubbery thing going on.
Very disappointing. I'll have to dig the packaging out of the garbage and note it so I won't buy it again....
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
Thursday, June 17, 2010
His nickname is Captain Danger. He'll fly down the stairs on his belly [brings back memories of me doing it when I was little].
- Father's Day....if the weather keeps this up [rain] we may have to scrap the Calaway Park idea and go with something indoors....this sucks.
- The Music of Star Wars...boo-ya ! June 26th, 6th row floor !
- The Boy's 2nd birthday...I know ! Where the heck did the two years go ? Again, let's hope the weather cooperates and we can have a good B-day bash on the deck
- Newb due July 13th
- Houseboatin' wedding in Sept.
- Aruba ? 2011 April.....
Wednesday, June 16, 2010
- The newb is just under 4 weeks away. He's a big boy like his big brother......let's just hope he's a bit more prompt
- Back from the trip to Vegas....really didn't get up to much other than the show. Had a couple nights of cards....ended out the week pretty much break even I think (I say I think because I haven't done my expenses for the trip yet....)
- The urge to move is growing stronger....it's mid June and we've only had a few nice days. Recently nothing but rain. While I do like rain, I'd rather sit on my deck and enjoy some heat and sun.
- Shaw cable can get stuffed
- We'll be heading to the BC interior in a few months and then it looks like....Aruba ? Yes, the talk is Aruba for April 2011....sounds good to me ! I would expect this to be sans kids, but we'll see.
- The boy has his animal sounds down and new ones all the time...right now he knows, snake, owl, horse, dog, cat, elephant, donkey, monkey and fish (he makes kissing noises).
- We'll be busting out the trike for the boy tonight...I had to make extensions for the pedals. He's a tall boy but I guess this trike was made for REALLY tall kids. I think he'll dig this once he can actually get it moving.
- We hit Greek Fest last Sunday.....mmmmmmmmm....I think they raised the entry fee from last year....but it's all good. The boy was having the time of his life jumping in the inflatable rubber castles and wasn't too happy when it was time to go.
- Fathers day this weekend....if the weather holds out we may hit Calaway park.....forecast says 19 and rain.....
- Stampede draws close...we'll probably do the family day...but the newb could make an appearance at any time after Canada day so we'll be on alert.
- Still may have to go to New York for a project but it's looking like September now.
- I really need to clean my office....it's getting kind'a loaded with boxes and shite
- Minivan ? ack..........
- Watched Edge of Darkness on my flight to Vegas.....glad i didn't pay for it....great idea for a good revenge tale but it didn't pay off
- Started watching Alice in Wonderland on the way back but they rebooted the entertainment system since some peoples weren't working and all that did was screw mine up....
- Have been watching the Saprano's on DVD....great show...just started Season 4 last night
something more substantial later
Friday, June 11, 2010
Monday, June 7, 2010
Good god, these people must live under rocks.
So...this is the last trip...well, flight...before Mr. Freshy shows up. He's about a month out....and should stay put while I'm gone. No early arrivals for you Mr. I don't want to have to battle the airlines etc trying to get the hell outta Vegas on a moments notice...last time I did that it took me almost 18 hours and I had to fly fly to 2 other airports just to get to my destination....
Yes...that's correct. My last trip is to Vegas. All you judgey people keep your comments to yourself, it's for work. I'll be setting up trade show stuff tomorrow and be 'workin the booth' until Friday night. And since the show is 9-5 I won't be pulling any late night Vegas crazy. I have to behave.
Now, that doesn't mean I can't have a bit of fun....I'll be getting in tonight at 5:30pm. Should be to Ballys by 6:15ish. That means I can head out for dinner, and then possible hit the poker tables for the night. Tomorrow should be a day of a lot of hurry up and wait. We'll hit the show in the morning but there's no guarantee of when our crate will arrive. It should only take us about 2 hours to set up...but the big question is WHEN do we start ? I've been at this show and leaving for dinner and spotting people in their booth with not a single crate....ack...i hope that doesn't happen to us.
I'll try to do a couple updates while at the show etc just so some of you can figure out what I'm up to (I have friends who compare me to chandler Bing....they have no idea what i do...even though I've told them and shown them numerous times....)
Friday, June 4, 2010
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
I substituted chipotle for the chili and went to town. Immediately when mixing the goodies I thought - that's a hell of a lot of flour and not much in the way of seasoning....
So, I fired up the oil in a pan...heated that be-otch up and thought i would give one a taste test. I dropped the calamari in the mixture and then into the super hot oil. I was surprised how fast it cooked. The recipe said a few minutes...I don't think I had to wait even a full minute (the oil was HOT !)
I tried the calamari (which looked awesome) and as I suspected...couldn't taste any of the seasoning. So I added more and tried another. Same result. So I DUMPED in a ton of paprika and this time added a ton of chili powder (a ton = i have no idea....lots...the flour mixture was dark red by this point)....and, finally, a bit of flavour.
All the while I was perfecting my seasoning mixture, I kinda' didn't adjust the temp on my oil...which is why this post is titled, how to make your house stink....
I started getting the smokey come off the pot....so i kicked it into high gear and cooked up all the squid. Note to self, don't put so much freakin oil in the pot and be sure to have the splash cover on from the beginning, not at the end when you're on your last batch.
We added some fresh chives (from our garden) and the wife made fresh tzatziki. We also had a fresh salad with some shaved Parmesan (we scored a huge block of it from the states on our last trip...it was 8$...a block like that here would run upwards of 30-40$)
I was very impressed with the end result. I'll be sure to try a different/better batter mixture on round two...also, I'll be more aware of the temp and the oil...it's been two days and the main floor of the house still has this greasy spoon smell...like a low end British chippy....
Wednesday, June 2, 2010
I think we're all set and ready for the arrival...just going to plop the other seat back into the car and then we're good to go when the call comes. I hope the call is during the day...maybe right when I get home from work...as opposed to the 1am 'yep, it's time'
Much like the first time around, the names aren't coming...if it were a girl we'd have plenty to choose from...and no, his name will not be Anakin, Luke, Lucas, Hann, or Lando. Although, Lando Harvey has a ring to it.....
Let's hope Captain Spotlight doesn't have a melt down when attention has to be split with the drooly guy hangin' off mom's boob.
Tuesday, June 1, 2010
- Del Toro quits THE HOBBIT. This sucks big time. The guy has such an awesome vision for fantasy flicks (go see Hellboy or Pan's Labyrinth). I hope they find a way to keep him attached to this project.
- ABC cancelled FLASHFORWARD. This sucks. I think this was a top notch drama/sci fi that had good characters and an interesting story. I hope there's enough fans to convince them to bring it back or have it jump to NBC or CBS.
- Heading to Vegas next week for Infocomm. I'll be staying at Bally's again. The WSOP is happening at the same time so I hope to see a few of the pro's...possibly get to chat with a few.
- The Mole Men are up to no good....This sinkhole in Guatemala is crazy.
- Tyler Durden has a bunch of shots of stars in Bikini's
- Here we go. Bank of Canada has raised the rate a quarter point. Apparently we're the first country to do it.....not sure if I like this kind of trail blazing....
- While the first Bad Boys was mildly amusing, the second one stunk...it was like a couple different movies mashed together and the 'add lib comedy' was BAD...the only funny part was when Martin Lawrence was all crazy and said to Will 'Smiff'...'Let's ask this guy...oh we can't, cause he's all f**ked up !'....that was about it....So....not sure why they're going back to the well for BAD BOY'S 3....please Will please...read the script...do rewrites if you have to...keep Bay's stupid explosions to a minimum....maybe then it will be possible to at least sit through the whole thing
- And I leave you with this.....Here's a new Scott Pilgrim trailer
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone